Padre::Plugin::PopularityContest - The Padre Popularity Contest
The Padre Popularity Contest is a plug-in that collects various information about your Padre installation as it runs, and reports that information over the Internet to a central server.
The information collected from the Popularity Contest plug-in is used by the development team to track the adoption rate of different features, to help set the default configuration values, and to prioritise development focus.
In other words, to make life better for you in the next release, and the ones after that.
At the moment, the following information is collected:
- Run time of Padre (Time between start and exit of Padre)
- Type of operating system (platform only: Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.)
- Padre version number
- Perl, Wx and wxWidgets version numbers
- MIME type of files (like
application/perl) which are opened in Padre
In addition, a random process ID for Padre is created and transmitted just to identify multiple reports from a single running instance of Padre. It doesn't match or contain your OS process ID but it allows us to count duplicate reports from a single running copy only once. A new ID is generated each time you start Padre and it doesn't allow any identification of you or your computer.
The following information may be added sooner or later:
Disable this module and no information would be transmitted at all.
All information is anonymous and can't be tracked to you, but it helps the developer team to know which functions and features are used and which aren't.
This is an open source project and you're invited to check what this module does by just opening Padre/Plugin/PopularityContest.pm and check that it does.
There are some things we can be very clear about.
1. We will NEVER begin to collect information of any kind without you first explicitly telling us we are allowed to collect that type of information.
2. We will NEVER copy any information that would result in a violation of your legal rights, including copyright. That means we won't collect, record, or transmit the contents of any file.
3. We will NEVER transmit the name of any file, or the cryptographic hash of any file, or any other unique identifier of any file, although we may need to record them locally as index keys or for optimisation purposes.
3. We will NEVER transmit any information that relates to you personally unless you have given it to us already (in which case we'll only send an account identifier, not the details themselves).
4. We will NEVER transmit any information about your operating system, or any information about your network that could possibly compromise security in any way.
5. We will take as much care as we can to ensure that the collection, analysis, compression and/or transmission of your information consumes as little resources as possible, and we will in particular attempt to minimize the resource impact while you are actively coding.
Finally, if you really don't trust us (or you aren't allowed to trust us because you work inside a secure network) then we encourage you to delete this plug-in entirely.
See the support section of the main Padre module.
Copyright 2008-2013 The Padre development team as listed in Padre.pm.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl 5 itself.